Having been raised in Western Kansas on a cattle and grain producing farm, there were principles instilled which have carried forward in life. Attending Kansas State University and spending time in the U.S. Army, including a tour in Vietnam, gave me an appreciation for what Kansas offers to its people. Returning from overseas to attend Washburn University and graduating in 1975 gave a license to learn more about life and people. After completing school, being legal advisor to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Kansas Department of Revenue and the Kansas Attorney General's Office Consumer Protection Division enabled me to have an even greater appreciation of what Kansas has to offer.
Becoming a private practice attorney allowed those experiences gained to be used for the benefit of others which has been essential. Realizing family conflicts being caused by financial pressures which often resulted in Divorce caused a greater focus on resolving those issues by focusing on Bankruptcy. Since the Bankruptcy law change in 2005, there has been a concentrated focus on Bankruptcy and work to help develop the new law by advancing theories and approaches to ways to resolve financial issues for the client.
Even while being very involved in the practice of law, there has still been time to be involved in Community Service. Whether it be teaching marriage and divorce classes to a high school class, providing presentations to landlords regarding landlord/tenant law, being in Kiwanis working at Topeka Rescue Mission or raising funds to support high school scholarships, there is a community commitment.
- Kansas, 1975
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, Kansas, J.D.
- Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, B.S., Major: Business Administration
- Residential Landlord Tenant Act, Apartment Council of Topeka
- Marriage and Divorce, Auburn Washburn School District
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Kansas Bar Association and Topeka Bankruptcy Bar
Past Employment Positions:
- Kansas Attorney General's Office, Legal Advisor, KBI, 1975–1976
- Kansas Department of Revenue, Hearing Officer/Acting Director of Vehicles, 1976–1977
Pro Bono Activities:
- Kansas Bar Association/Lawyer Referral
- Ancillary Businesses
- Lobbying Kansas Association of Counties, 1978–1986
- Lobbying Kansas Salvage Vehicle Dealers Assn., 1980–1998
- Beta Sigma Psi